The top and bottom of the Pacific-10 Conference solidified itself some over the weekend. It’s that middle that’s unpredictable.
Washington looked impressive in a narrow win over Oregon State two weeks ago and crumbled at Arizona. OSU drilled Arizona on the road then dropped a narrow one at Washington.
Three teams are bowl eligible at this point and one already out. It’s going to be fun watching the other six scratch and claw for a spot.
1. Oregon (7-0, 4-0): The march continued toward the national title game with a blowout of UCLA. Ducks look like they can go all the way.
2. Stanford (6-1, 3-1): The Cougars put up another good fight, but the Cardinal keeps chugging along. Can they keep it up in this strange conference?
3. Oregon State (3-3, 2-1): The bye week should have healed a number of key players. The next three games are must wins for postseason.
4. Arizona (6-1, 3-1): The lack of starting QB didn’t didn’t bother the Wildcats against Washington. Schedule gets tougher with Stanford, USC and Oregon ahead.
5. Washington (3-4, 2-2): Jake Locker was banged up, so he didn’t play as well. He’s who the Huskies are wrapped around so they didn’t play well.
6. Southern Cal (5-2, 2-2): A bye week helps get ready to host Oregon. They could be the best shot at stopping the Ducks.
7. California (4-3, 2-2): Playing at home is the key for the Bears after a big win over Washington. Next up a trip to Corvallis.
8. Arizona State: (3-4, 1-2): Everything fell apart against Cal, but Sun Devils are still dangerous. The young team could grow up at any moment.
9. UCLA (3-4, 1-3): There was nothing to do against Ducks. The question now is if the Bruins can salvage the season for a bowl game.
10. Washington State (1-7, 0-5): It’s said every week, this team is going to upset someone this year.