Sorry this post went up a day later than usual. My Sunday was crazy with driving home from Seattle from midnight to 4:45 a.m., sleeping five hours, going to Salem to coach a Little League doubleheader and then doing my Monday follow story on the Oregon State football team and blog from the car ride home.
Anyway, college football was turned on its side again this week. That’s what makes the game so good and unique. Each week is considered a playoff week for bowl positioning.
Here’s the latest look at the Pacific-10 Conference that played only three games last weekend.
1. Oregon (6-0, 3-0): Not a bad day when you can sit back on the couch, watch football and find yourself ranked No. 1 in the country. The Ducks are No. 2 in the BCS rankings and have a chance at the national title game.
2. Stanford (5-1, 2-1): Cardinal could be ready for a strong run. It has Washington State and Washington next. The bye week gets it more prepared.
3. Washington (3-3, 2-1): The Huskies may have learned more from beating the Beavers than the Trojans. And it helps to have a healthy QB Jake Locker.
4. Oregon State (3-3, 2-1): Beavers have to keep focus. Make one play at the end of last game and they would be the best option to topple the Ducks. Now they are being bashed by fans.
5. Arizona (5-1, 2-1): Sometimes a win is a win doesn’t cut it when the QB gets hurt. It will be interesting to see how the Wildcats handle the situation.
6. Southern Cal (5-2, 2-2): Even the might Trojans are schizophrenic this year. They took their happy pills for the win over Cal.
7. Arizona State (3-3, 1-2): Momentum could be built with a trip to Cal. Sun Devils had a bye week to prepare after win over Washington two weeks ago.
8. UCLA (3-3, 1-2): Road gets tougher with a trip to Eugene this week. Then again, the Bruins took out Texas on the road earlier in the season.
9. Cal (3-3, 1-2): That was a nasty beat down they felt at the hands of the Trojans. Will the Bears hold it together?
10: Washington State (1-6, 0-4): Cougars are a major factor in the conference because they keep injuring star players.