What week to shake up the Pacific-10 Conference. All that talk about it being a wide-open race proved right this week, with the exception of Oregon.
It was harder for the Ducks to win against a good team, but they are still undefeated and the team to beat.
Here’s a look at where the conference is at to this point.
1. Oregon (5-0, 2-0): There were issues getting going against Stanford, but there was just too much firepower for the Cardinal. Can anyone stop the Ducks?
2. Arizona (4-0, 1-0): Coming off bye week to prepare for Oregon State. Wildcats needed it after two tough games.
3. Stanford (4-1, 1-1): The setback against the Ducks was a learning experience. The Cardinal will be in the running for the Pac-10 title if Oregon slips.
4. Washington: (2-2, 1-0): It was an impressive win over the mighty Trojans. That’s the kind of early win that can spark a successful season. We’ll see if it does.
5. UCLA: (3-2, 1-1): Getting the first win of the conference season keeps momentum going but it shouldn’t have been that close against Washington State at home.
6. Southern Cal (4-1, 1-1): The successful start has been shaky, and now a strong game from the Huskies got them. The surprising part was the game was at home.
7. Oregon State (2-2, 1-0): The Beavers showed promise in a win over Arizona State. There’s still a lot of improvement to go before they are knocking off the top teams.
8. Arizona State (2-3, 0-2): The Sun Devils are not that far off. They need to clean up penalties and tighten defense. They are young so watch out for next year.
9. California (2-2, 0-1): A bye week came at a good time so the Bears can regroup.
10: Washington State (1-4, 0-2): The Cougars were in the game in the second half against UCLA, and the game was in the Rose Bowl. This team could pull off an upset.